Thursday 5 September 2013

Fear

I refuse to shiver, shake or lose ground.

I stand with the faith of millions weighted on my back.

I hold up a sign, they see me and try to move me.

Nigeria wake up!

They know that we are asleep, they fear because I am awake.

I take a step forward and I am alone, other fallen by the way.

Corruption hear my voice and tremble, change is coming.

My children are hungry, barons of incompetence.

Dipping your hand in honey as we grow thin and fade.

My old ones are not paid, after service we are left to the cruel world to fend for ourselves.

New textbooks, students cry. They want to learn, why hold back progress?

Terrorists now attack and distroy many lives and still Nigeria dreams.

Blood drenches and fills the portholes on the roads.

Darkness is all we have.

A new dawn is coming.

I shall stand through rain and storm a sign in my hands and my eyes awake.

I am awake and soon Nigeria will awaken with a loud roar.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know we had student poets in UNILAG ... but hey, what do I know? Nice work. You should probably join ANA Lagos ... you know ... do a reading ... let some of the professionals in the house make their criticisms, and maybe publish something :D That'll be swell!!

    ReplyDelete